Back to map

Slovenské elektrárne

Slovenské elektrárne is the largest electricity producer in Slovakia, operating two nuclear, two coal-fired, 31 hydroelectric and two photovoltaic power plants, generating 72% of the country’s total electricity production. With installed capacity of 4,301 MWe1, it is one of the largest electricity producers in Central and Eastern Europe. Its unique portfolio enables it to produce almost 90% of electricity without greenhouse gases, avoiding 15 million tons of carbon dioxide emissions every year. Slovenské elektrárne also generates and sells heats and provides ancillary services to the power grid.

The company is currently completing units 3 and 4 of the Mochovce Nuclear Power Plant, which is one of only three nuclear power plant constructions currently underway in Europe. It employs directly more than 5,000 workers and creates over 10,000 jobs in the region. With annual investments exceeding 700 million euros, the company has been the largest private investor in Slovakia.

The mission of Slovenské elektrárne is to produce and supply safe, affordable and environmentally friendly energy to its customers. With its long nuclear tradition and extensive know-how, the company managed to achieve world-class operational performance of WWER reactors2.

Through its subsidiaries, the company sells electricity, gas, heat and energy services to final customers in Slovakia, Czech Republic and Poland, its client portfolio includes some of the largest industrial enterprises in the region.

Slovenské elektrárne is a joint-stock company founded in 2002. Since July 2016, 66% of its shares are owned equally by energy group Energetický a průmyslový holding (EPH) and Italian utility Enel; remaining 34% of the shares are owned by the Slovak Republic.

1 as of January 1, 2016
2 WANO Performance Indicator Index